Monday, June 18, 2012

Chinese Beef & Broccoli

Chinese food is one of those things that I think everyone loves, and I don't know anyone who doesn't! However, it is terrrriibbblllleeee for you. Beef & Broccoli is one of my favorites, as well as crab rangoons, egg drop soup, orange chicken, mmmmmm! But, I'll save those for another day. This Beef with Broccoli recipe is only around 330 calories too.

Ingredients
~3/4 lb round steak, cut into 1/4 in strips (sometimes I'll use sirloin if it's on sale..it's more tender)
~1 lb broccoli, cut up into florets
~1/3 cup oyster sauce
~2 tsp sesame oil
~1/3 cup white wine
~2 tsp soy sauce
~1 tsp sugar
~1 tsp cornstarch
~About 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
~1 slice ginger root
~1 clove of garlic peeled and smashed

1. Stir together the oyster sauce, sesame oil, white wine, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Add beef strips to the marinade/sauce and let marinate in the fridge for about an hour.


2. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and stir/toss around the garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes to flavor the oil. Then, pull out the ginger and garlic clove and throw it in your compost pile :)

3. Stir the broccoli around in the oil, and toss & stir it until it's nice and green to your desired doneness (I like mine still crunchy but where the heads are JUST starting to get soft) right around 5-7 minutes. Remove the broccoli and set aside.


4. Add a little more oil to the wok if needed. Stir and toss the beef WITH the marinade in the wok until the beef is cooked and the sauce turns into more of a glaze (about 5 minutes).


5. Return the broccoli to the wok and toss with the beef for about 3 minutes to heat through and thoroughly coat. Makes 4 servings. Serve over rice if desired!





Let me know what you think! 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious, Francie. You need to come and cook for me...... I wish I liked cooking, but I don't. I sure like to eat though!

    ReplyDelete