Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Easy Healthy Taco Salad

Yum! What's better than Mexican food?? Ok...maybe chocolate. But, for the current point...I love Mexican food!! But, it's SOO terrible for you. So, I decided to create a HEALTHY alternative to satisfy my craving for some good ole' TexMex. It was delicious!! Also, it's less than 500 calories!!

Ingredients (for 1 serving)
-2 handfuls of salad mix (from my last blog post) roughly chopped/shredded
-1/2 avocado, diced
-1/2 roma tomato, diced
-1/3 can of whole black beans, rinsed
-1/3 can of whole sweet yellow corn, rinsed
-1/4 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
-2 spoonfuls of salsa (as "dressing")
-2 chicken strips, or 1/2 a boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced (like fajita meat)**
-Low sodium taco seasoning packet (I just used the Kroger brand)

**I use the Tyson frozen bagged skinless boneless chicken breast strips, because they're easier and smaller portioned.

1. Cook chicken in large skillet, and once no longer pink add taco seasoning plus however much water it says according to the seasoning packet.
2. Layer your ingredients on your plate or bowl, lettuce on the bottom and then sprinkle everything else on & top with your salsa.
3. Enjoy!


This was super easy, super quick, nice weeknight meal! I took a handful of Tostito's "Hint of Jalapeno" Tortilla chips and crumbled them over the top, for some crunch. Even my hubby (who hates his veggies) loved it, and said we need to make it again!

Try it!! Let me know what you think in the comments!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment